Sunday, December 21, 2014

Walnut Hills

Walnut Hills is one of the older Cincinnati neighborhoods and one of the first suburbs back in the 1800s.   Harriet Beecher Stowe, author of Uncle Tom's Cabin lived here and her house can still be visited today.  Peeble's Corner was at one point a premier shopping locale within the city.  Walnut Hills has seen some hard times for the past several decades however, but it seems like the type of place that could be poised for a comeback, since it is close to Eden Park, Mt. Adams, and Downtown.  The name of Walnut Hills might be most associated with the most prestigious public high school in the region and the original building was in Walnut Hills, but now it is technically right across Victory Parkway in Evanston.  A map of Walnut Hills is below.

So the usual first routes for ideas are neighborhood signs and community council web pages.

So first the welcome to Walnut Hills signs.

So maybe something in those earthy browns and greens with walnut leaves on it.  After looking for something to steal off another flag I was surprised to find that while tree are incredibly popular on flags (escpecially European city and county flags) none of them I could find were walnut trees.  They were overwhelmingly oak.  Likewise, leaves are a popular element, but I couldn't find any with walnut leaves.


So I found a logo of children's nature program with walnut leaves on them and made a flag with the brown and green colors.

FLAG 1

I was just going for a nice simple design that I haven't really tried before.  

Here is a different simple flag with the same logo and colors.

FLAG 2

I like these, simple and unique color scheme, although the colors are a bit drab.

Then I remembered that the community council webpage had a logo that I used for pan-Walnut Hills colors for East Walnut Hills already.  Here is the logo again.
and here is a simple tri-color made from these colors.

So I took these and tried another set of simple flags using the logo.  That logo, by the way, makes me think of the best logo in the history of sports, the Hartford Whalers logo.  They were an NHL team that later moved to the hockey mecca of North Carolina.  Here is the logo.
It forms an "h", a "w", and a whale's tail.  Just great in my opinion.

Anyway, I was thinking of Slavic style flags, which are normally just a horizontal red, white, and blue tricolor with a shield of the countries coat of arms.  Below are some examples.

Serbia

Croatia

Slovenia

Slovakia

You get the idea.  So those lead me to

FLAG 3

And

FLAG 4



And departing from the horizontal style

FLAG 5

Then I went back and tried swapping some of the brown and green color schemes with the pan-Walnut Hills color schemes and vice versa and got.

FLAG 6

And 
FLAG 7

And finally 
FLAG 8

None of these flags are super creative, but I think they all work decently well and would stand out against the other flags I have created so far. 

Please vote and leave comments below.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Michael,

    We love your work. Are these flags free to use? We'd like to fly some from our building!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bond Hill is in need of representation I've registered as of last week please send me information VickieJackson Vice president of the Bondhill community council 513-256-6263 email events to personal email addresses or vicepresident@bond-hill.org
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete