Wednesday, October 1, 2014

O'Bryonville BONUS POST!!!

O'Bryonville is the third neighborhood I've put up that is not considered one of the "52."  O'Bryonville is considered by the city as part of Evanston.  In my own opinion, O'Bryonville has an advantage over Covedale and Prospect Hill when it comes to being considered its own neighborhood and that is its own distinct business district.  Prospect Hill has no business district and Covedale's is a seamless blend from West Price Hill's.  Evanston's main business district in up on Montgomery near Xavier.  O'Bryonville's is centered on Madison between East Walnut Hills and Hyde Park.  The most legitmate argument against O'Byronville becoming its own neighborhood is it is so TINY! It's just about half a dozen blocks.  Interestinlgly  O'Byronville does appear on the map below, but I couldn't find one with it colored in.  So look just below and to the right of Evanston (the neighborhood that IS colored in) to find it.


An interesting fact is that if you Google most of Cincinnati's neighborhoods, Google Maps will put up an outline of the neighborhood's boundaries.  It does not do that for O'Byronville.

O'Bryonville got its name, from one of the first families that bought the land there, the O'Bryons.  I don't think it was ever really an Irish enclave but I am going to pretend it was to give myself something to work with, I mean the name is Irish.

So first is a cheap redo of the OTR flags.  I took the "O" of OTR converted from the Cincinnati flag and recolored it to give it an Irish flare.

FLAG 1
Just pretend I finished recoloring the red buckeye leaves.  So the symbolism is the O stands for O'Byronville, the waves parallel the Cincinnati flag, and the colors come from the Irish flag for the Irish sounding neighborhood.

I tried a few more color combinations.

FLAG 2

Next ones try to emphasize the green colors.

FLAG 3

And 

FLAG 4

In each of the flags above I need to recolor the red buckeye leaves to the appropriate color.

I've done this recoloring of the Cincinnati flag twice before now (for Covedale and Corryville) and this is basically the same trick.  So I went to try a few more.  So I did another simple recoloring.  This time of the Evanston flag.  Since O'Bryonville would be seceeding from Evanston, I wanted to connect it to that neighborhood by recoloring Evanston's flag.

FLAG 5

O'Bryonville can also now claim that the Owl stand for Owl's Nest Park, the park on the neighborhood's western boundary.  

Then trying with the other owl and recoloring it green.

FLAG 6

I tried with Evanston' "X" version of the flag but it didn't work as well.  The above versions are more obvious that it is an Irish reference because of the tricolors.  

Whenever a neighborhood is named after a person's last name, I try to look at the family crest of that name.  The O'Brien or O'Bryan crest is below.  I am assuming it could work for O'Byron too.

So the three lions made me think of the English Royal standard.  The royal standard of the monarch of the U.K. is below.

The two corners with three lions stands for England.  The lower hoist canton with the harp stands for Ireland.  The upper fly canton with the red lion stands for Scotland.  I colored the back of the lions white like in the crest and replaced the other two cantons with a X version of the Evanston flag.
   

FLAG 7

I think royal standards tend to be a bit busy trying to boast about all the great lands and titles of the monarch, but at least this would be unique among the Cincinnati neighborhood flags I have done so far.  

Finally, I've been wanting to try to work in a non rectangular flag somewhere.  So I made my first easy attempt here.  Since all of O'Byronville's flags have been recoloring of other flags so far, why stop here.  I took the Ohio flag, recolored it to make it more Irishy. and took out the stars because they make even the standard version of the flag too busy.  Now the O can stand for O'Byronville instead of Ohio.

FLAG 8

Votes/Comments/Submissions appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment